Hearings begin over HSTA contract dispute

Hearings in the teacher’s union challenge of the state’s unilaterally imposed contract got started on Wednesday.

Different hearings will deal with separate filings. On Wednesday’s was over the teachers union seeking an injunction to block take-it-or-leave it contract terms.

The HSTA is asking the Hawaii Labor Relations Board for an injunction that would bring a return to the status quo from the last contract while other details can be sorted out.

They say the administration’s five-percent cut in pay and furloughs, plus the 50-50 health premium split was decided before negotiations.

"Predetermine and seek acceptance using a take or leave it bargaining strategy or by threats they engaged in in this case," said Herb Takahashi, attorney for HSTA.

"There’s not a threat from the superintendent. This is the threat to the State of Hawaii and the DOE is there’s a huge budget shortfall," said Jim Halvorson of the Attorney General’s Office.

The union isn’t only taking issue with the money. They also say the directed leave without pay or noninstructional furlough days are undermining union rights.

"And what are those department directed leaves? July 28, July 29, teacher institute day — the only time when teachers have a right to meet and discuss collective bargaining affairs, a critical right that members have," Takahashi says.

The state says that’s not the intention and going back to last year’s status quo would be worse.

"The amount is not terribly significant and if you compare it to what they were going to through the last couple years, it’s actually better. status quo may be considered to go back to the larger number of furloughs," Halvorson says.

Meanwhile both sides await a resolution.

"We have to look at the teachers and if they’re under stress and apprehensive about what they are doing will definitely impact the students learning," said HSTA President Wil Okabe.

Both sides will have to wait for a state board’s findings on on Wednesday’s matter. The board did not indicate when they would decide.

A hearing on a separate prohibited practice complaint will start next week.

See the original article at: KHON2 Local News

<--- Like this post? You know what to do.

Comments are closed.